Wasted in extra time - again

Last updated : 31 January 2010 By Fargone

from the Sunday Mail

killerBRYAN PRUNTY'S injury-time winner sealed Alloa's victory over 10-man Arbroath and fired the Wasps to second in the table.

The only goal of the Recreation Park encounter delighted home boss Allan Maitland and he was quick to praise the spirit of his side who fought for the points right to the end.

He said: "What a result for us today because we were really desperate to win. We battled right to the death and that shows the attitude of my players here.

"Bryan Prunty was signed to score goals and I'm really delighted for him today. He will be a valuable player for us as we go into an important period of the season."

The visitors started brightly, forcing two corners inside the opening minutes but Alloa defender Scott Walker headed both efforts clear.

Wasps skipper Brown Ferguson found space 18 yards out but his fifth-minute volley was saved by Darren Hill.

Chris Townsley stepped forward from the home defence in 15 minutes but couldn't keep his 25-yard effort down.

Arbroath were looking to hit on the break with Steve Hislop causing problems for the home defence.

Alloa keeper David Crawford stood motionless in 33 minutes when a left-foot screamer from Marc McCulloch was deflected inches past. From the resulting corner Alan Rattray should have given Arbroath the lead but he headed wide.

In 41 minutes the Wasps had their best opportunity. Andy Scott swung in a corner for Townsley to rise above everyone but his bullet header cracked the bar.

The Gayfield club were down to 10 men with two minutes of the first half remaining after Hislop was shown a straight red by referee Colin Brown following a tussle with Scott off the ball.

Alloa Alloa pressed from the restart and new signing Prunty latched on to a Scott through-ball but his toe-poke went wide.

He had another chance in 65 minutes when David McClune's measured cross found him free but he couldn't keep his header down.

Prunty had the ball in the net in 71 minutes but his superb overhead kick was harshly disallowed for dangerous play.

Hill was the busier keeper and was forced into a double save in 75 minutes from sub David Gormley and then Prunty.

The Wasps were forced to play the last seven minutes with 10 men after Townsley limped off but six minutes into injury time Prunty struck. Gormley touched a free-kick sideways and he hammered low past Hill from 25 yards.

Arbroath boss Jim Weir said: "I thought we were the better side and were comfortable but big Hislop's let us down with the red card so he'll be punished.

"Where the ref got an extra six minutes from I don't know."