Two killer deadballs kill off battling Lichties

Last updated : 21 March 2009 By Fargone

The team lineup was heavily changed from last week's dismal showing at Alloa. Rattray and Dobbins formed the central defence, there was a start for new signing Keith Gibson, Roddy Black started in the middle with Ross and Scott up front.

The players looked like they were serious from the off and we had good possession for the first 20 minutes carving out several half openings. Scott just wide but also blasted other efforts wildly over. In general the final ball was lacking.

After a geat Hill stop, against the run of play, Gibson was penalised just outside out box and Sloan curled a pinpoint low strike round the wall and into the corner to put Raith one up. Raith came more into the game but we still showed up well. Claims for a penalty when Andrews cleared (with feet from the head of a jumping Scott. then Scott was slapped by a Raith player after he was bundled over but only a yellow was shown.

Second half was dominated by Raith. Thy looked more assured and started passing the ball around better. Like last week we seemed to be too easily muscled aside by a `professional' Raith approach and they were happy to make cynical fouls whenever we had possession and a little space in the final third. The game was increasngly interrupted by petty fouling

On 55 minutes a great corner from the right was headed home by Campbell. McGlashan had been shouting to mark Marvin Andrews. thereafter Raith carved out a few chances but couldn't finish.

At least Arbroath kept battling away. A Gibson strike was blocked by Raoth bodies and Ross narrowly missed connecting with a grea cross the right

A little poetic justice - too late came in the final seconds. first a Raith forward was booked or diving. then after fulltime Raith's Davidson was sent off for swing at Dobbins after a hndshake then some jostling.

3 games, 3 defeats to Raith. We really need to score that first goal and we need some composure up front. Dobbins and Forsyth showed up well

Goals from Robert Sloan and Mark Campbell guided Raith Rovers to victory over a battling Arbroath side.

Raith opened the scoring after 26 minutes when Sloan curling low free-kick went around the wall and left goalkeeper Darren Hill stranded.

Sloan's perfectly placed corner set up Campbell to head home from close range after 55 minutes.

But Iain Davidson was shown a straight red card after a clash with Ian Dobbins after the final whistle.