Lichties squeeze through to a historic semi

Last updated : 10 September 2012 By Fargone

tensenervesArbroath looked the better side for half the game and could have scored more.   A fantastic showing from `new' keeper Scott Morrison who handled everything that came his way meant we didn't pay the penalty for a growing nervousness that spread through the team after Stenny were reduced to 10 men,

First half we look good going forward with Rennie looking lively and hit woodwork twice in the first 20 minutes before Robertson scrmabled a headed goal to put us ahead. 

Stenny gave notice of their intentions with a dangerous spell to end the first half and then we spent much of the second half backpeddling - probably too anxious to close out the result, especially after the sending off of Gemmill for a clash with Malcolm.  We seemed clueless in possession up front and increasingly vulnerable at the back.   We almost paid the penalty with Stenny's last gasp penalty which Kean thankfully hit high and wide. Superb showing by Kerr but too many became anonymous second half

From the Courier :Lichties survive late scare to reach cup semi-final

Scott Robertson's first goal for Arbroath was enough to send the Red Lichties into the semi-final of the Ramsdens Challenge Cup for the first time in the 23-year history of the competition

But Stenhousemuir, who played most of the second half with 10 men following John Gemmell's dismissal, were left to rue missing a last-minute penalty which would have taken the tie into extra-time.

The game got off to a lively start and after Danny Rennie and Steven Doris came close for Arbroath and Greg Ross had rattled the Lichties woodwork for the visitors, the deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute when former Partick player Robertson headed home a Paul Sheerin corner.

Stenny's response was immediate with Gemmell forcing Scott Morrison to pull off another spectacular save to turn a header on to the post.

There was a dramatic start to the second half when Gemmell was sent off following an off-the-ball incident involving Arbroath captain Stuart Malcolm, who was booked for his part in the incident.

Arbroath took control but despite being a man down the visitors refused to buckle and Morrison had to be alert to stop a Darren Smith header.

Stenny were awarded a penalty in the final minute when Stewart Kean was brought down in the box. The Warriors striker took the kick himself but fired wildly over the bar.