Lichties drop 2 points at home to Berwick

Last updated : 05 December 2004 By Simon
Arbroath lined up with 2 chances from the team that drew 1-1 at Ayr the week before. Cusi and Swankie went out injured, and in came Paul Farquharson and Euan Donaldson, so the line up went:

GK- Neil Inglis
DR- Kevin McMullen
DL- Euan Donaldson
DC- Steven Rennie
DC- Chris McLeod
DC- Jamie Bishop
MC- Stuart MacDonald
MC- Marc Millar
MC- Greg Henslee
FC- Paul Farquharson
FC- Alan Brazil

The first half was all Arbroath, yet we went in 1-0 down! The first 10-15 minutes of the game were pretty even, with no real chances for either side. The first good chance of the game came to Alan Brazil. A good run by Euan Donaldson down the left saw him release Farqy, who put a cross in along the ground to the unmarked Alan Brazil, but his first touch let him down, and the keeper easily collected.

From that point on it was all Arbroath. Chance after chance came and went. A good corner in from the left by Marc Millar, was met by the head of Greg Henslee but after a goalmouth scramble, the Berwick keeper collected. Next up was a Euan Donaldson. A great run down the left saw him have a good chance for a shot or cross from 12 yards out, but he sent the ball wide of the left hand post. Two minutes before Half Time Farqy had another chance. He was released down the left hand side by a good ball from Alan Brazil and ran 30 yards towards the goal before putting a cross/shot behind for a goal kick.

Straight after this Berwick got the 1st goal. A clumbsy Chris McLeod challenged resulted to a penalty. Having spoken to 5/6 people who were all near the incident, i've been told it was definately outside the box. Mark McGarty converted the penalty though, and Arbroath went in 1-0 down.

The 2nd half started brightly for Arbroath, with an equaliser. A Marc Miller corner was heading accross the goal by Henner and then headed in by Jamie Bishop. Two minutes after this, Faryq had a great chance to make it 2-1. A long ball over the top put Faryq 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper, who saved with his feet. Sadly the 2nd half went pretty flat after this. A few half chances at each end, but nothing else really happened! A few minutes from the end though, Steven Rennie was given his marching orders. With Darren Smith away on the left wing for Berwick, a bad challenge by Rennie saw him recieve his 2nd yellow, and it looks like he will be banned for 4-5 games. Cairney brought on Duncan McLean and Greg Miller for the last few minutes, but neither did much to liven up a poor half of football.

This was definately 2 points lost. Arbroath should have been 4-5 up after the first half! After we equalised, the team seemed to just stop playing, and it went very flat from then on in. Hopefully we will be able to pick it up for the cup tie next week at Albion!