Lichties draw with Dunfermline.

Last updated : 19 July 2004 By Simon

Arbroath line-up: Woodcock; Cook, Brown, Bishop, McMullen; McAulay, Millar, McDonald, Swankie; Brazil, McLean. Subs: Rennie, Henslee, Watson, McGowan, Collier.

Both teams were lively at the start and the first 20 minutes were played at a fast pace. Both sides saw a similar share of the play although there was little goalmouth action. For Arbroath, Millar was winning the ball consistently on the right of midfield and Flyer and Swankie worked well on the other flank. The ball was finding its way towards Allan Brazil as the target man, who made a number of good lay-offs for McLean and McDonald, but generally looked a bit off the pace and rather unfit. The best chances for Arbroath came when the impressive Swankie nutmegged the Dunfermline full-back and then forced a good save from ex-Dundee keeper Langfield at the near post. McLean also had a good shout for a penalty waved away by the referee.

Rennie appeared in place of Brown, who had failed to impress, for the second half. Henslee replaced Millar, who looked to have picked up a thigh strain, shortly after the restart. Dunfermline were well on top for most of the half and only three or four good saves by Woodcock and the post kept them out. Arbroath defended a dozen or so corners and seldom ventured out of their own half in the last 20 minutes, when the fitness of their opponents began to tell. During that period Cook, Swankie and McLean were replaced by Watson, McGowan and Collier, who failed to impress.

Overall there were a number of impressive individual performances, particularly Swankie, Millar and McLean. McDonald and Cook also performed well and Bishop made an impression. Woodcock also did well and may find himself as first choice following an injury to Ingles. As always in friendlies it was impossible to make a judgment on the balance of the team but the indications are that we may score more goals this season and perhaps begin to play a more open and attacking style.