Late lapses deny worthy, battling Arbroath a point

Last updated : 21 December 2008 By Fargone
Despite the exorbitant gate prices, a decent Lichtie following at Starks Park (in a crowd of allegedly 1,477). Playing these stadia, it seems we're back on the bigger stage.Starks' good atmosphere and decent elevated view is tempered only by the fact you have to stay the whole game stuck behind the same goal.

Sellars was back in the starting lineup, Flyer came in at left-back to replace Forsyth now returned to Dundee and a Trialist keeper replaced Morrison (who had broken his hand at work).

First half was fairly uneventful. Scott and Weir were lively up front and there were a few impressive passing movements by the Lichites pouring forward but we lacked a bit of composure to make a difference. Raith made some perfunctory attacks but seldom opened up our defence or troubled Hill. halftime 0-0 so far so good - with the exception of some strange officiating decisions which kept the pressure on our defence unnecessarily

Second half Raith playing into the home end started putting on a bit of pressure and there were a couple of decent chances which flew past our goal. Our attack was increasingly isolated but still carried a threat. After Scott broke forward on the left, a great cross was sliced badly by Sellars and the ball screwed wide.

Strange episode with Gates coming on - struggling to get into the game, making a couple of poor passes and then being subbed, angrily taking his jersey off as he walked to the dressing room. Reilly came on in his place, then Tosh late on

Just as it looked like it might end goalless, and the home fans became increasingly hysterical - baying for fouls, throwins, penalties at the slightest pretext - some careless passes ahead of the defence saw a high ball land for Davidson to turn smartly and nick it past Hill -should he have done better?. Bishop seemed upset at the back but whether for a foul or poor marking wasn't clear.

Still we kept trying to get something back and on the 90 minutes Scott was denied as he struck two shots with venom. From the resultant corner, Doris won some space in the right hand side of the box at a angle and smashed and inch-perfect angled drive into the corner.

Team and fans were delighted with this late salvation but, once again a poor or maybe tired pass across the midfield fell straight to a Raith player and the ball was played in for a clean strike by their sub Ferry. A real body blow

A real kick in the teeth to grab what seemed an equaliser the surrender that lead But the team performed well today, looked as good as the league leaders - mostly fulltime and with real strength around that side. Our relegation rivals had good results as we're back in the mix.

Unwarranted bookings for Bishop and Black

From Scotland on Sunday:

A DRAMATIC closing 10 minutes at Starks Park saw three late goals as Mark Ferry hit an injury time winner to extend Raith's lead at the top of the table.

Goalscoring chances were at a premium, but the game sprang to life when Iain Davidson fired Raith in front after 82 minutes. Robert Sloan's cross fell to Davidson who rifled home.

Arbroath's Steven Dorris levelled in the final minute, but Ferry restored the Kirkcaldy club's advantage in injury time