Excruciating - fourth rate, second best

Last updated : 14 March 2009 By Fargone

Arbrath never turned up for this critical relegation clash. eyebrows were raised at the starting lineup which seemed to include four centre halves, a weak-looking midfield and with Weir and Scott up front.

Despite all our exerience from Gayfield, it was Alloa who mastered the diffiult conditions - wind and bounce. They were stronger in the challenge and tried to play football and eventually eased to an easy win 2-0 going on 5.

At this stage of the season we need better attitude yet were second best throughout. he fact we went down 3-0 was surprising. even when giftirst ed chances second half our finishing was dire

Alloa made the breakthrough after 11 minutes when a sweeping move down the right was finished slickly by Campbell. The rest of the first half we were still in it, trying to work some openings, winning may corners yet never really comng close - shots from Rennie and Scott coming closest

Ambitions reminaed at halftime and these were sewpt away in the first 15 seconds of the second half. McCulloch was caught in possession from the kick-off passback and mved forward quickly for a smart McLune finish past Hill. that seemed to take the wind out of us and the second half was just dire.

We could barely pass the ball, even our big players seemed to be eased off the ball and there were signs of growing frustration. Weir was booked then taken off. Subs Ross and gates had chances but fiishing was dire and we never came close. Alloa controlled the game and a solid show from Hill kept the score down to two

With Queens getting closer, the manner of this capitulation was unacceptable. Play like we did this week at Peterhead and Alloa and we're certainties for the relegation playoffs


Goals from Iain Campbell and David McClune guided Alloa to a comfortable win over fellow strugglers Arbroath.

Alloa broke the deadlock after 11 minutes when McClune ran to the by-line before cutting the ball back for Campbell to prod the ball home.

Brian Carrigan almost doubled Alloa's advantage but his 20-yard shot was well parried by Arbroath keeper Darren Hill.

But Alloa sealed the points within a minute of the restart when McClune curled the ball beyond Hill.