Deserved win in the wind

Last updated : 31 January 2009 By Fargone

On the last day of the transfer window, Arbroath's starting eleven carried quite a few changes from last Sunday. Rattray came in at the back with Bishop moved to rightback displacing Rennie, and Dobbins return as the holding player displacing MacGowan.

The wind - mainly across the pitch - was strong and dominated the entire game, getting stronger as it wore on. Arbroath put in a tighter performance than of late though Alloa threatened little. To our credit we trie to keep the ball down and pass it around and there were a few decent passing moves.

First half we came fairly lose a few times. On 30 minutes Barry Sellars forced his way into the box and his deflected cross was scrambled clear. A Lunan shot and a Rattray header were other chances. Weir was undeservedly bookd for a decent challenge.

As the game wore on it in the second half, it looked like one goal might settle it. Arbroath looked the likelier throughout with Weir a lone livewire up front, holding the ball up well, and battling like a demon to win it back. On 60 minutes a McCulloch freekick saw Rennie head over when Sellars behind was much better placed. We were carving out crosses but couldn't get a decent strike on the ball. Cameron went close with a shot

A little glimpse of class carved out the opening midway through the second half. Sellars and Cameron played a one-two and Cameron was clattered as he went for the return in the box, earning a caution for Alloa's Hill.

For the second week running weir dispatched the penalty with confident aplomb to send us 1-0 up. Thereafter , as usual, Alloa gained some initiative. A dangerous freekick on the edge of our box hit the ball and fell to Hill. Bishop was injured - concussed in fact - in a clsh of heads, then a long wait for an Alloa defender to receive treatment. Rennie and Scott were our subs.

The ref called an early halt to proceeding as merciful release to the small crowd. A vital 3 points today

from BBC

Steven Weir's penalty handed Arbroath a crucial three points against fellow strugglers Alloa Athletic.

Arbroath had the better of the first half as Paul Lunan fired just wide with two shots from outside the box.

Following concern about the high winds, played continued after the interval and the home side scored on 66 minutes.

Colin Cameron was caught by Dougie Hill and from the resulting spot-kick Weir smashed the ball straight down the middle to seal the vital points.