Awful Arbroath lose to Angus Rivals

Last updated : 02 January 2005 By Simon
Oh dear.....

Arbroath lined up with Inglis in goal, a back 3 of McLeod, Bishop and Greg Millar with Donaldson and Flyer playing the wing back roles. The midfield trio were Henner, MacDonald and Marc Millar. Gavin Swankie and Alan Brazil started upfront.

Arbroath started brighty, and forced a 4,5 corners in the first 20 minutes or so. From one of these, a Henslee cross was deflected off the head of Eddie Forrest, and onto the crossbar. After this early pressure, Forfar had their first real oppertunity of the game. A Paul Tosh cross was met by Jay Stein who, instead of simply heading it in, went for a stylish scissor kick, which bounced off the ground and over the bar.

A few minutes later Forfar took the lead. A good through ball to Paul Tosh left the striker 1 on 1 with Chris McLeod, Tosh then centred the ball to Jay Stein who tucked the ball under Neil Inglis to make it 1-0.

There was 1 more good chance for Forfar before the break. Forfar winger Jay Stein had a good long range shot tipped wide of the post by Neil Inglis. A minute later the ref blew for Half Time.

Forfar started the half the way they finished the first, and completely outplayed Arbroath from start to finish. Ten minutes into the 2nd half Euan Donaldson cleared a shot of the line from Forfar midfielder David McClune. A few minutes later, Forfar again attacked, and a cross missed both Paul Shields and Paul Tosh by inches.

With 29 minutes left, Paul Shields doubled Forfar's lead. A through ball reached the striker 30 yards out from goal, and after twisting Jamie Bishop left and right, he slotted the ball home past Inglis.

Arbroath brought on Farqy and Duncan McLean with about 20 minutes left. Soon after, a Euan Donaldson cross was caught by the wind, and Barry Sellars had to head off the line for a corner to Arbroath.

Only 1 more major incident happened in the latter stages of the game. Euan Donaldson had a shot from around 30 yards, which looked like it was going harmlessly to Michael Brown in the Forfar goal, but took a wicked deflection off Barry Sellars, forcing the Forfar keeper into a top quality save.

A few minutes later the final whistle went. A completely gutless performance by Arbroath today. Hopefully our jeckel and hyde form will continue against Stranraer though, as we would be due for a win!