Arbroath 1-3 East Stirling

Last updated : 21 August 2005 By Simon
Arbroath made the trip to Falkirk on Saturday, full off optimism of beating the apparent worst team in the division with ease, but how differently things turned out. Arbroath started with Inglis in goal, a back four of Flyer, Bishop, Cormack and Black, a midfield 4 of Millar, Davidson, Jackson and McCulloch and Stein and Brazil upfront.

Both teams had chances in the first half, but Arbroath really should have gone into the break a goal up. Twice Hugh Davidson was played through by the Lichties midfield, and twice he attempted to pass the ball backwards to players behind him instead of just toe poking the ball towards the goal. Roddy Black was also played through but when faced with the daunting prospect of having to kick the ball in between the white posts, he failed and smashed it miles over the bar.

Three minutes into the 2nd half, the Shire scored. Arbroath reject Ian Diack was played through and he gleefully placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net to make it 1-0 Shire. Arbroath could hardly put together 2 passes, let alone get a shot on target, and Shire went 2-0 up on the 73rd minute. A backpass by Jay Stein somehow landed at the feet of Diack, who went on to slot home past Inglis. Two minutes from time, Roddy Black scored a tremendous volley from 20 yards out but that good work was quickly undone when a goalmouth scramble ended in Ally Graham slotting home for Shire's 3rd.

Overall - a shocking performance. Only Greg Millar and Marco McCulloch seemed to be putting in the 100% effort, with even usual good guys Alan Brazil and Flyer having awful games. Certain members of our squad need to learn this is division 3. Fancy back heels, flicks and tricks are not going to work. Also - if we play that long ball tactic one more time, I think im going to scream! The best i've seen us play has been when we've passed the ball about, yet we continue to lump it upfront.

Hoping to see a far better performance next week against Montrose.