Arbroath 1-1 Forfar

Last updated : 20 February 2005 By Simon
What an awful game that was! Awful conditions with some of the worst football i've seen this season, a points a point though!

The first 15-20 minutes were pretty even, as both teams struggled to get used to the conditions, but it wasn't a surprise when Forfar took the lead. Paul Shields ran onto a through ball and struck the ball into the corner of the net from a tight angle.

Forfar were now on top in the game, and Arbroath were lucky to go in only 1 down at the interval. At half time Arbroath made the only substitution with Steven Rennie going off to be replaced by Jamie Bishop, which was no surprise as Rennie fell badly on rock solid Forfar pitch and went off at half time clearly holding his shoulder.

The 2nd half started the way the 1st ended, with Forfar pressing the Arbroath defence. Luckily the offside trap was working well, and Tosh and Shields were both caught out on a number off occaisons. Forfar nearly finished the game in the 73rd minute, with Shields hitting the post from 10 yards out, and the rebound was slashed wide for a goal kick.

This seemed to spur Arbroath into action, and John McGlashan had the Lichties best chance of the game on 80 minutes. A through ball from Henslee was McGlashan 1 on 1 with the keeper, but he scooped his shot over the bar with 2 Forfar defenders closing him down quickly on either side.

Three minutes later Arbroath equalised. Gavin Swankie was set free on the right hand side, and his inch perfect cross was hammered home by the head of John McGlashan to make it 1-1. Arbroath almost satched it at the death, but a fantastic save by Michael Brown denied Chris McLeod.

A poor performance after the last few weeks and we were lucky to take a point out of this one. Gavin Swankie was yet again pulled and pushed all over the pitch by the Forfar defence, but the referee chose to ignore this throughout the game! Next week is a big game for both teams, and hopefully Arbroath can continue the good results of late and get a 3rd home win in a row!