Post-Sons Match post-Mortem - the press

Last updated : 01 March 2010 By Fargone

festivePress & Journal:   Arbroath enjoy a couple of crackers

Wonder goals help Lichties defeat Sons

ARBROATH assistant manager Kevin McGowne was full of praise for on-loan Hibernian full back Callum Booth, who capped an outstanding performance by grabbing the third goal in a fine 3-1 win over the Sons.

The Red Lichties rallied from a one-goal deficit at the interval and went on to take three more precious points in their bid to pull away from the Second Division drop zone.

Booth, a Scotland under-19 international, caused the Sons defence no end of problems with his surging runs and accurate crosses.   His goal, with just three minutes remaining, was sensational. He collected the ball wide on the left, cut in past Dumbarton full back Iain Chisholm and blasted a fierce drive high into the net with his supposedly weaker right foot.

McGowne said: “Callum was fantastic. His first-half performance in particular was different class.  “He was very positive in taking on the full back and, although he was quieter in the second period, when they put an extra man on him, he was my man of the match.

“He capped his performance with a great goal, one of the best you’ll see this season. He couldn’t have hit it any better.”

Substitute Jamie Redman’s 73rd-minute 20-yard volley into the top corner, which put the Lichties 2-1 ahead, was also of top quality.

Dumbarton went ahead in the eighth minute, trialist David Winters blasting home an Iain Chisholm cross. Winters had also scored on his previous appearance at Gayfield but he was to end up on the losing side once again after the Sons failed to capitalise on their impressive opening spell.

Arbroath gradually worked their way into the game and deservedly grabbed an equaliser 10 minutes into the second half when good work from Andy Jackson set up a chance which Steven Doris gratefully accepted by sidefooting beyond Czech goalkeeper Ian Vojacek.

Redman and Booth’s spectacular strikes sealed the Lichties victory – which hauls them closer to the pack in mid-table and further ahead of basement club Clyde.

McGowne added: “We know we’re in a precarious position and need to pick up as many points as possible. But there’s not much between any of the sides.”

The Courier : Jackson happy as Lichties rally

ON-LOAN front man Andy Jackson crossed off another item on his to-do list as the Lichties came from behind to boost their second division survival prospects.

Jackson began the second month of his spell at Gayfield by having a hand in two of Arbroath’s goals and still being on the park at the final whistle.   ……..But today I felt closer to it and hopefully I can start scoring again before long because I want to pay Jim Weir back for taking me here and giving me this chance.

“It’s an arrangement we both need to benefit from with me returning to McDiarmid Park sharper and fitter after helping Arbroath to a few more wins. “Derek McInnes pulled me aside on Friday and told me that he knows what I am capable of and that it’s just a case of getting my confidence and sharpness back. “It’s good to be given that encouragement. But then all along he’s been reminding me that I remain in his plans and confirming that by, even though I’m out on loan, having me in every day training at Perth.”

Jackson was given a fair bit of stick by the ultra-critical element in the Lichties support who, to put it mildly, were questioning his fitness. But in having a hand in Arbroath’s first two goals he showed glimpses of the player who set the first division alight two years ago.

This, only the Angus outfit’s third home win of the season but second in a row, was a real fillip to their hopes of avoiding the relegation play-offs.  With third bottom East Fife only drawing at Stenhousemuir, they are now within three points of safety and five of overhauling fifth-placed Sons.

But beating Dumbarton had looked a massive ask at the interval following a poor first-half showing.  Without being all that impressive themselves, Sons led at the break thanks to trialist David Winters lashing home an eighth-minute opener after Gerry McLaughlin went to sleep as Iain Chisholm crossed from the right.

Arbroath looked to be going nowhere. With the exception of Kenny McLean, they’d been anonymous in midfield and were lacking in both confidence and on-field leadership.  But 13 minutes into the second period Steven Doris nipped in front of keeper Ian Vojacek and clipped home Jackson’s low cross, and following boss Jim Weir replacing Paul Lunan with Robbie Ross and switching Doris to the right-hand side they looked a different team.

Substitute Jamie Redman, who’d replaced the injured Ian Nimmo, traded passes with Jackson on the edge of the area before beating Vojacek with a glorious 73rd-minute strike. But even that finish was bettered just before the end as the outstanding Callum Booth, on-loan from Hibs, cut inside from the left wing and beat the keeper from fully 25 yards with fantastic right-foot strike.

“We’ve got to stop giving teams a goal of a start, but credit to the boys for the attitude they showed,’’ said assistant manager Kevin McGowne. “We’re in a precarious position at the moment, but players are starting to come back from injury and suspension and we’re beginning to get the wee breaks we weren’t getting a month ago.’’

Dumbarton boss Jim Chapman said, “If ever a team was capable of ending up losing having been in complete control of a game it’s us. First half we played some great football and weren’t having any problems, but instead of killing the match off we stopped playing.  “We can be lovely to watch at times but when we needed to dig in today we didn’t.’’