Post-Clyde Match press

Last updated : 05 April 2010 By Fargone

riotSunday Mail:   ARBROATH assistant Kevin McGowne hailed the stunning display of Mitch Megginson after the teenager ran riot to sink Clyde.

The classy 17-year-old, who only joined on loan from Aberdeen this week, scored once and gave the Bully Wee defence a horrendous time.

And McGowne said: "Mitch was excellent. He added a real threat to our side as he likes running at defenders.

"But the whole team played well so Clyde can have no complaints, we deserved the victory."

Bryan Scott put the Gayfield Park men ahead in nine minutes, stroking past Callum Reidford from 10 yards.

Kenny McLean almost made it two in 25 minutes but his close-range shot was saved by the Clyde shot-stopper.

Megginson doubled their lead in 32 minutes, slotting the ball through Reidford's legs.

Steven Doris and Megginson both came close to adding to their tally but Clyde launched a brief fightback with Dimitriys Borisovs and Adam Strachan both having decent efforts.

The Bully Wee now look certain to be relegated but boss John McCormack said: "We've no choice but to pick ourselves up after this.

"It's getting harder but I will keep faith with the players."

 The Courier:  Lichties’ latest step towards survival

ARBROATH took another massive step towards securing survival in the second division with a comfortable two-goal away win over bottom club Clyde.

First-half strikes by Bryan Scott and on-loan Aberdeen striker Mitchel Megginson were enough to give the Lichties another three points, widening the gap over their hosts to 13 and placing them just a single point behind Stenhousemuir and two behind East Fife, with a game in hand over the Fifers.

Arbroath took the lead on nine minutes when Bryan Scott got to a Callum Booth cross and guided the ball home with a hint of a deflection off defender Neil McGowan. Scott suffered a recurrence of his hamstring problem and Robbie Ross replaced him on 23 minutes.

Arbroath extended their lead on 32 minutes when Megginson found space in the box and slotted neatly past Clyde keeper Callum Reidford 13 minutes before the break.

bambooManager Jim Weir said, “I was delighted with the performance and the result and we fully deserved our win.   “There still a lot of hard work to be done and, with five games left, I have a feeling that it’s going to go right to the wire.  “What we have done in the last few games is to give ourselves back a sense of self-belief that we can play and win.   “I was very pleased to see Megginson take his scoring chance with such confidence.

“He’s only 17 and he’s never going to be the biggest man on the pitch but he showed great bravery in going one to one on the keeper to stick the ball home.  “Losing big Gary McLaughlin in the warm-up was a blow but he had been been carrying an injury since the last win over Brechin and shouldn’t really have played in the midweek game against Alloa.

“Having Bryan Scott injured again isn’t what we need at this stage of the season but it’s something we just have to cope with. “He’s had a real stop/start season through injury but, when he’s fit and on song, his pace and unpredictability make him a real handful for defenders.  “I certainly wouldn’t want to be playing against him.”                                  

 Press & Journal: Arbroath praise for loan Don

Megginson makes instant impact to save the Red Lichties

MITCH Megginson, an emergency loan signing from Aberdeen, helped Arbroath claim the spoils in a vital relegation six-pointer.

First-half goals from Bryan Scott and Megginson put the Red Lichties in the driving seat while Marc McCulloch and Alan Rattray remained solid in defence throughout a richly deserved victory.

The win lifts the Gayfield side 13 points clear of Clyde at the foot and takes them within touching distance of Stenhousemuir and East Fife.

Megginson said: “There was a fast tempo and hard work was required so hopefully this could help me break into the Aberdeen first team for next season.”

Clyde made a nightmare start when Scott’s shot deflected home off Neil McGowan after a Callum Booth cross in nine minutes.

Calum Reidford kept the Bully Wee in the game, making a block at pointblank range form Kenny McLean after a Steven Dorris cross on 25 minutes. Then Megginson sneaked behind the Clyde defence before capitalising on a short pass back from Alistair Park to shoot home in 32 minutes.

Latvian substitute Dmitrijs Borisovs cracked a powerful shot against the post with 20 minutes to go as Clyde tried in vain to produce a comeback.

Arbroath assistant manager Kevin McGowne said: “Megginson showed guts at the goal to get involved and his bravery was rewarded.  “Considering he did not meet the players until the afternoon before the game he has had a good debut.”