No Panic Button - but relegation looms if we repeat that

Last updated : 31 August 2009 By Fargone
Analysis from Monday's press:

The Courier

Lichties' manager John McGlashan thought his young team had the best of the possession in the first half but lacked the cutting edge in the final third of the pitch.

Warriors boss John Coughlin made key changes for the second half and his tactics paid off.

Kevin Bradley and Iain Thomson replaced Stephen Thomson and Willie Lyle, and Thomson hit a pacy cross which Jordan Smith headed in from close range. In the 57th minute, Scott Dalziel made space on the left and delivered to the back post.

Bradley's header was cleared out, but only as far as Thomson who, from 12-yards, headed the ball inside Darren Hill's right post. The Lichties were overrun and with just quarter of an hour to go, and again let the Warriors get the better of them. Dalziel and Pat Scullion combined in a move that opened up the Gayfielders' defence with ease. Dalziel rolled the ball in front of Iain Diack 12 yards from the line and the striker neatly tucked it past the stranded Hill.

McGlashan said of the defeat, "I'm obviously disappointed to have conceded three goals in the second half." The manager also observed that his team never recovered after the first goal, saying, "We can't expect to score first in every game."

The Lichties boss thinks he knows what went wrong at Stenhousemuir, and more importantly what to do about it. "We didn't work as hard as Stenhousemuir, the ethos of this club has been to attack and defend as a team, but we lacked cohesion—that won't happen again," he added. "There's no team in the second division that can win on talent alone, and I'll be telling that to the team very clearly."

But McGlashan can see a silver lining, concluding, "We've made a good start to the season, we're sitting at third, which is far better than last season. We're not going to hit the panic button after a poor 45 minutes."

from the P&J

Stenny's good turn topples Arbroath

STENNY knocked the Red Lichties off the top of the table as second-half goals from Jordan Smith, Iain Thomson and Iain Diack gave the Warriors their first league win of the season.

Following an insipid first period, Warriors manager John Coughlin rang the changes and pushed on Iain Thomson for namesake Stephen and Kevin Bradley for Willie Lyle. Within five minutes of the restart, the changes worked.

Thomson delivered from the right for Smith to head home the opener and then the provider turned scorer when he headed past Darren Hill for the second in 57 minutes.

Diack completed the scoring when he ended a brilliant move involving Scott Dalziel and Pat Scullion by scoring from 12 yards.

Arbroath manager John McGlashan said: "We defended badly, did not create enough and seldom tested their goalkeeper. It was disappointing, but it's maybe a wake-up call. We were top before kick-off and some people were tipping us for the title.

"That was always unreal and maybe after this performance they will realise that should we replicate this display, we are more likely to be relegated."