Folding like a pack of cards - post mortem

Last updated : 13 September 2010 By Fargone

cards From the Sunday Mail:   CRAIG O'REILLY last night claimed Darren Gribben has the golden touch after the Berwick man grabbed his second hat-trick of the season.

O'Reilly sent the Borderers on their way to an impressive demolition of Arbroath but it was strike partner Gribben who grabbed the headlines.   He trooped away from Shielfield Park with the match ball under his arm and O'Reilly said: "Darren's on fire at the moment and everything he seems to hit appears to be going in.

"He is playing so well right now but the entire team is playing with loads of confidence.

"I don't think anyone would have predicted we would have it sewn up before the interval."   Berwick boss Jimmy Crease echoed his striker's thoughts when he said: "I honestly didn't see that result coming - I thought it would be a lot tighter.

"To be fair some of our finishing was excellent and we've seen the type of quality Darren Gribben has with the level of finishing he showed today."

There was no inkling of a goal flurry in a very open, but even, first 20 minutes until the visitors collapsed after the Wee Rangers hit with them with three goals inside a devastating nine-minute spell.

The home side were beginning to get on top and their pressure eventually paid dividends when David Greenhill's finely-measured pass fell straight to the feet of O'Reilly who drilled the ball under Darren Hill's body.

Arbroath were visibly still reeling from the first blow when Greenhill delivered another superb delivery for Gribben. The striker looped the ball past Hill with a superb first-time volley just four minutes later.

And when Gribben latched on to a quickly-taken Paul Currie free-kick in the 29th minute to fire home his side's third goal via the woodwork it was effectively game over before the interval.

Berwick started the second half as they ended the first, on the attack, with Gribben menacingly eyeing up a strike to claim his hat-trick.

And it was no surprise when the redhot striker completed his treble. He cutely defied the visitors' offside trap to launch himself on to the end of Chris McLeod's route-one pass and fire home Berwick's fourth just seven minutes into the second half.

The home side continued to forage forward in the search of more goals. And Paul McMullen almost made it five when his long range crosscum-shot forced Hill to scurry back to his goal-line and tip the effort over.

From the resulting corner-kick McMullan's left-foot flag kick cannoned off the front post as the visitors' afternoon of misery looked to continue.

However, the Red Lichties managed to grab an 89th-minute consolation when Kieran McAnespie smashed home a 30-yard free-kick off the underside of the crossbar.

The goal at least brought a bit of respectability to the scoreline but gutted Arbroath player-manager Paul Sheerin was still far from happy after a disappointing afternoon.

He said: "It seems we are folding like a pack of cards once we concede a goal."