Folding concern

Last updated : 27 November 2011 By Fargone

conertinaRAGING Jimmy Boyle slammed ref Charlie Richmond for denying Airdrie the penalty that could have sealed a sensational win.

High-scoring Diamonds had roared back from 3-1 down to level before Richmond made the late call when Brian Kerr tripped Graeme Owens in the box.

But Boyle swore the whistler got it badly wrong and insisted he should have booked his player for diving having already done the same to Paul Lovering.

He said: "It's a stonewaller. He goes past the player and he brings him down. If it's not a penalty then he has to book him - but that's the way it goes.

"It was another crazy afternoon but all credit to us. We kept going and looked like we were the team that was going to win it. In open play they didn't trouble us much."

Arbroath roared out the traps and were ahead in 90 seconds. Sean Lynch fouled Lee Sibanda and Gavin Swankie's brilliant free-kick beat Connor Fairley at his near post.

But Airdrie - who have hit 15 goals in their last two games - were level in six minutes.

Kieran McAnespie's woeful back pass was picked up by Willie McLaren and his cross was handled by Mark Baxter.

Lovering made it three goals in two games by thumping the penalty home.

Jamie Stevenson then cracked a 25-yard strike off the bar before Sibanda volleyed straight at Fairley from 12 yards.

But Paul Sheerin's side were gifted the lead in 42 minutes after Swankie's cross was handled by Kevin Green and Steven Doris rammed in the spot-kick.

They went further ahead in 55 minutes. Swankie swept past the lumbering Green on the left and his cut-back was coolly slotted home by Josh Falkingham.

Airdrie clawed their way back into the game in 69 minutes when Ryan Donnelly headed home John Boyle's cross.

And the red-hot striker levelled with his 18th goal of the season when he nodded past Hill from close range.

Owens was then fouled by Kerr inside the area but Richmond waved away Airdrie's appeals.

Donnelly had a brilliant strike tipped over by Hill in 89 minutes before McLaren fired the ball over in the final seconds.

Arbroath boss Sheerin said: "I didn't think it was a penalty. We were 3-1 up and comfortable at that stage. But then it goes to 3-2 and we fold which is a concern.

"They could probably have nicked it in the end."