Alloa Match Post-mortem - the press

Last updated : 29 March 2010 By Fargone

treadmillSunday Mail:   JIM WEIR was left cursing his team's bad luck after Arbroath outplayed the leaders but allowed them to escape with a point.  The Red Lichties had the better chances in the teeth of a gale but boss Weir was frustrated as Alloa kept their 13-game unbeaten run going.

Weir said: "The conditions were poor but we missed a bit of fortune in front of goal.  "We had a number of chances but they mostly seemed to end up in the keeper's arms."

Arbroath won a string of corners as they pushed the table-topping Wasps back in the early stages.  Alloa offered little but shots from distance in reply with Andy Scott's curling effort the closest they came to hitting the target.

Arbroath could have taken the lead after half-time when Kenny McLean's corner flew straight through a pack of players.  However, keeper David Crawford saved on the line.

The home side had a great chance when Bryan Scott's cutback fell to Keith Gibson but the midfielder shot well wide.  Wasps boss Allan Maitland said: "The wind totally ruined the game but we're pleased with a draw. Hopefully next week the conditions will be better."

Press & Journal  Weir hopes gone with the wind

Arbroath aim of three points dashed as shooting accuracy is blown off course

Arbroath manager Jim Weir feels the Red Lichties could have picked up maximum points against title-chasing Alloa if they had been sharper in their finishing.

chance missedThe Gayfield side enjoyed the bulk of possession in the Division 2 match and created the best chances in a game which was spoiled by a powerful wind.  Weir said: “Conditions were poor but I felt, especially with the wind behind us in the second half, we could do something.

“We lacked a little bit of clinical finishing. “We created a number of chances, but they just seemed to end up in the goalkeeper’s arms all the time.  “Having said that we had a couple of wee scares near the end.  “Alloa have been scoring a lot of late goals in recent games so there was a bit of fear near the end when they attacked.

“I can’t fault my players.  “We’ve had so many injuries, we are down to the bare bones. A lot of the players are running on empty so we’ll need to be careful with training this week before our massive game with Clyde next weekend.”

Arbroath’s injury list lengthened on Saturday when forward Steve Hislop hobbled off after 31 minutes.  Weir said: “He’s got a hamstring injury on top of the knee problem he already had. “And with Andy Jackson returning to St Johnstone this week we are a bit short up front. “But the board has given me all the support I could ask for and if I need to go out and get a forward then I can.”

Neither goalkeeper was called on to make a save during a dreary first half in which the best chances came from corner kicks with Arbroath defenders Alan Rattray, Gerry McLaughlin and Ewan Moyes all heading wide of the target.

In the second half the Red Lichties pushed for the winner they so desperately wanted to haul themselves away from the play-off spot at the foot of the table.

A low-hit inswinging Kenny McLean corner almost caught out the Wasps defence but goalkeeper David Crawford managed to knock the ball off the line with his knee.

Andy Gibson should have put the Lichties ahead when Bryan Scott squared into his path, but the former Montrose man shot wildly over the bar.

Steve Doris and Callum Booth both came close for the home side before a rare Alloa raid in the closing stages ended with Declan McAvoy forcing Darren Hill to beat his powerful drive behind for a fruitless corner.

Alloa manager Allan Maitland was content to go away with a point and said: “It was a poor game played in bad conditions but the result was fine.”


The Courier  ARBROATH’S HOPES of avoiding the relegation play-offs were boosted after a no-score draw with leaders Alloa on Saturday.

Boss Jim Weir was disappointed his side couldn’t grab three points after dominating a wind-affected match.

“The conditions were poor for both teams but we just needed a bit of luck in front of goal,” he said. “We lacked a wee bit of clinical finishing in the second half. We had a number of chances but they just seemed to end up in the goalkeeper’s arms.”

With the fierce Gayfield gale making free-flowing football a rarity, neither team recorded a shot on target in the first half.  The home side had the better of the limited chances through a series of corners, but Alan Rattray, Gerry McLaughlin and Euan Moyes all headed wide when they should have done better.

Arbroath, with the wind at their backs, dominated the second half and made two big chances.  Bryan Scott cut the ball back to the arriving Keith Gibson in the 56th minute but the midfielder pulled his shot wide.  With 10 minutes left, Steven Doris collected a loose ball but his well-struck shot was straight at Alloa keeper David Crawford.