Post-Annan match post-mortem

Last updated : 16 August 2010 By Fargone

campingFrom the P&J:  ARBROATH player-manager Paul Sheerin admitted the Red Lichties' failure to capitalise on their superior possession cost them dear against Annan at Gayfield on Saturday.

The Maroons spent most of the match camped in the visitors half, clocking up 13 corners against Annan's two, but it was the Galabank side which went home with all three points thanks to goals from David Cox and Kevin Neilson.

Sheerin said: “It was a funny game. We had a lot of possession but didn't really create any good chances.

“It was frustrating. They got two goals in a short space of time and it was difficult for us to come back even though we were based in their half for a great part of the game.”

From The Courier:   Arbroath player-manager Paul Sheerin, who replaced himself with Ian Nimmo with just over 10 minutes of the match remaining, said, "It was a funny kind of game. We had a lot of possession and we huffed and puffed but I can't recall too many real chances.

 griffen"Danny Griffin and Jordyn Sheerin had a couple of scoring opportunities and Annan's keeper pulled off a great save from Josh Falkingham but that was about it.    "Their first goal came from nowhere really and they had the bonus of scoring their second just a couple of minutes later, giving us a real job to do.

"We ended up being virtually camped out in their half for large parts of the match, but it's goals, not possession, that counts in this game and the fact is that we didn't score.

"It was quite frustrating but Annan defended very well and blocked what we did throw at them. They were a well organised side with experienced players like David Cox, Ian Harty and Bryan Gilfillan and there hopefully won't be many teams who will come here and take away two goals and a clean sheet."

 Annan boss Harry Cairney was reluctant to dwell on the fact that the he marked a winning first return to a ground where he was once manager and said, "I'm just happy to get another three points.

"We scored a couple of goals in a three-minute spell and held on to our lead. It was a very satisfying team performance with no outstanding individual contributions.