Post Alloa Match Post Mortem - the press

Last updated : 01 February 2010 By Fargone

depressionFrom The Courier

ARBROATH manager Jim Weir was left fuming after his men returned empty-handed thanks to a goal in injury time giving victory to Alloa.

“An extra eight or nine minutes was added to the game after we’d already played with 10 men for 45 minutes,” said Weir.

“They scored in the 97th minute. I would really like to know where the referee got that length of injury time that led to Alloa scoring.

“It’s a bitter pill to swallow. We’ve played three games in a week and we’ve deserved at least a point in the last two. It’s been a tough week for everybody.”

Bryan Prunty blasted home the last-minute winner to fire Alloa into second-top spot and pile on the agony for the Lichties at the wrong end of the table.

The visitors started brightly, forcing two corners inside the opening minutes but Alloa defender Scott Walker headed both efforts clear.  Steven Doris fired in a cross but keeper David Crawford punched it to safety.  Kyle Faulds tried a 10-yard shot which went just wide and the Lichties kept up the pressure when defender Marc McCulloch powered a strike past the post.  That was followed by a well-hit Kenny McLean free-kick which went narrowly wide.

Arbroath were dealt a blow with two minutes of the first half remaining after striker Steve Hislop lifted a hand to Andy Scott leaving referee Colin Brown no option but give him his marching orders. The 10-man side battled on courageously and in 83 minutes Alloa were also down to 10 men when Chris Townsley limped off injured.

The match seemed to be heading for a goalless draw until a cross from sub David Gormley gave Prunty the chance and he blasted the ball home into the left-hand corner to send the Alloa fans into raptures.

frustrationPress and Journal

10-man Arbroath denied at the end


ARBROATH felt dejected at Recreation Park when they seemed to be heading for a well-earned point after playing the second half with 10 men.

But seven minutes into injury time the Wasps grabbed their winner from recent signing Bryan Prunty which moves them into second place.

Arbroath manager Jim Weir reacted angrily to the defeat but said his side had done well when down to 10.  He said: “We looked quite comfortable for much of the game and had the better scoring chances.  “Alloa scored a late winner but I would like to know where the referee got seven minutes injury time from.”

Brown Ferguson tried for the Alloa opener but his six-minute shot was smartly saved by Darren Hill.  The Red Lichties quickly settled but shots from Kyle Faulds and Marc McCulloch could not beat keeper David Crawford.

After Kenny McLean sent a free kick just past the home right post in 33 minutes Alloa came close with a Chris Townsley header which was cleared from under the bar by McCulloch.

Three minutes before the interval the visitors were down to 10 men, Steve Hislop shown straight red for a swing on Andy Scott, in full view of referee Colin Brown.

Prunty headed just over the Arbroath bar early in the second half but in 71 minutes he had a goal disallowed. Arbroath played with great spirit and saw their chance when Alloa were down to 10 after Townsley had to leave the field injured with all subs already on.

When the game seemed set to finish level, Prunty hit his winner with a drive to the left corner from David Gormley’s short free kick.