Deep in the mire - disjointed, disheartened showing

Last updated : 06 September 2015 By Fargone

C:WindowsTempphp1748.tmpA lovely sunny afternoon at Gayfield spoiled by a  completely unconvincing performance.  Two poor teams on show and, at times,an open game.  Arbroath were undone by YET another early goal conceded (header direct from a corner).   We reliefdmainly on long balls forward, easy meat for the Clyde defence, and the few occasions when we carved out a chance, there was no composure or accuracy and even crosses seldom beat the first man.  

Fans are now in gallows humour mode, expecting little.  The team seemed to lack shape with insufficient movement.    New loanee Watson did well at the back.   Ryan showed a few touches upfront, but missed his chances.  Most were pedestrian.  The lack of confidence shines through and we got no breaks - the last minute scamble off their post and line confirms that - but the finger is now pointed at the management.

From the Clyde FC website

Clyde moved to within a point of top spot in Ladbrokes League 2 this afternoon, with a single-goal win away at Arbroath. The two teams produced an entertaining game, but it was Chris Smith's ninth minute header that proved to be the difference.

Barry Ferguson made one change to the team that beat East Stirling last weekend, with new signing JP McGovern making his debut as Scott Ferguson dropped to the bench.

The Bully Wee started well and were rewarded in the ninth minute when Smith met Chris Mitchell's corner to open the scoring.

Clyde created a number of chances in the first half to add to the lead. David Marsh fired the most clear cut opportunity over the bar from 15 yards following good work from David Gormley, while McGovern almost netted a debut goal after he charged down Arbroath keeper Allan Fleming and blocked his clearance but saw the ball bounce agonisingly wide.

At the other end, The Red Litchies had a goal correctly chopped off for offside but Clyde keeper John Gibson was otherwise untroubled.

Arbroath enjoyed a better second period but The Bully Wee still created a number of chances to double the lead, with Higgins and Gormley both going close.

Deep into stoppage time, Clyde were almost made to pay for not adding a second goal but Arbroath defender Craig Watson saw his header rebound off the inside of the post.